So you've figured out the color of the dresses you want for your bridesmaids. You know the style, material, available sizes, and how quickly they can be in your hands. One other thing to figure out is whether you want full length dresses, tea length or cocktail length dresses. Here are some things to consider when deciding on the length of your bridesmaid dresses:
- Tea length or cocktail length dresses would be cooler, so they might be more suitable for very warm and/or outdoor wedding settings. Conversely, full length dresses might be preferable in the colder months.
- A shorter style might be more wearable after the wedding day, but keep in mind that a long dress could be shortened.
- Shorter dresses might be less consistent in the overall look they create for your bridal party. Differences from leg shape to shoe styles will be more apparent.
- Shorter styles might be less expensive, as they'd require less fabric. However, the labor to produce a long or short version of the same style would be about the same, so the price difference would not be major.
- Shorter styles would be easier to pack if you're having a destination wedding.
- Full length dresses are more vulnerable to getting dirty or torn while being worn. They are simply closer to the ground!
- Full length dresses project the most formal image. Many women would prefer to have their legs covered on a formal occasion like a wedding.
The choice, ultimately, is yours. There are advantages to either short or long dresses, so consider the pros and cons before deciding on dress length.